One not-so-beautiful morning I woke up just to find out that my Seagate 7200.11 500GB hard drive is not detected from my BIOS. Unfortunately it was a well know problem which have three solutions:
- Replace the hard drive with new one from where you got it and lose your data
- Send it to Seagate for data recovery and wait a month or more
- Fix (or totally screw) it yourself
Of course as some-kind of geek I chose the last option and successfully repaired my drive following the MSFN forums guide. Check the photos for more details of the process.
- If you have Seagate 7200.11 be sure to check if it is affected and if is still running flash it with the latest firmware
- If you are planning to repair it yourself be sure to know how to solder
- You will need quite a few parts and tools. It took me two days to prepare
- Most of the cellphone cables have what you need inside. I used a Nokia datacable.
PS: I’m NOT responsible for any damage or data loss you might experience
PS2 (in Bulgarian): Ако ви трябва помощ при възстановяване на данни от 500/750/1000GB хард диск Seagate 7200.11, който не се появява в БИОС-а или е с размер 0, драснете ми едно писъмце и ще се опитам да помогна.