After completing my personal website I started considering the idea of recording some video tutorials and as a result I have just done my first Papervision3D screencast. One thing I am very pleased with is the technical part of this task. Since I’m not a big fan of Camtasia and other propriatery software this time I used VirtualDub with x264 codec instead of Camstudio and flashsv. This way the quality of the video and the file size came out amazingly well (less than 1mb per minute of recording).
Moving to what the tutorial includes:
- Downloading and installing Tortoise SVN
- Downloading (check out) the Papervision3D SVN repository
- Setting up Flex Library Project (in Adobe Flex Builder) for the code downloaded at step 2.
- Setting up Flex Project (in Adobe Flex Builder) for our first Papervision3D attempt
- Writing and testing very simple AS3 Class CoolCube for getting started with PV3D
- Having fun!
PS. Sorry for the lag of outline around the captions but I was informed that I have to buy a license for JW Player (which supports outlines). This forced me to use Flowplayer which has insane set of features but is nightmare to configure.
If you have any other player in mind (or hosting which will not recompress the video), please drop me a line.